9/10/08

Thick Girls Bible

I thought I would put together a little montage of what Thick girls need to do to achieve ultimate flyness! I just discovered Kiyonna.com! Oh MY GOD...Thick Ladies, You will be forced to worship me after you go their site! http://kiyonna.com/




First of all, do not get your wardrobe from one store! That is horrid! Mix and match. There is nothing worse than looking like you walked straight out of one store! Know that you might have to pay a little extra to get quality pieces. Now don't get me wrong, we all need a budget but sometimes splurging on "that" dress or "that" blazer is worth it.

Try to find a lot of different wrap dresses. The more curves you have, the more flattering a wrap dress will be:) Old Navy and Target are great places for wrap dresses. I personally wish I could swing a dress from Diane Von Furstenberg but I am on a TAR-JAY budget:) Kohl's and JC Penney are also great options. I know for a fact that JC Penney goes up to size 26W.

I would also like to introduce to you a designer by the name of Rachel Pally. Her pieces flatter everybody shape...well not skinny chicks! Finally something just for the thick girls!

Google her line, go to Nordstroms.com or even EBAY. Let me tell you, these are the MOST sexy and comfortable dresses I have ever worn. Basically, the designer created DANCER friendly pieces which focused on comfort and flowing with the body. They are curve friendly and I personally think they will stay in style.

The line is a little pricey but so worth it. I have gotten some from boutiques and Anthropologie but I also got lucky this summer and found one at Buffalo Exchange(thrift store)in Houston. You know I did a dance when I paid only $18 for that dress.

Here a few things you should know:
1. Believe in the power of the V NECK
2. Invest in Wrap Dresses
3. Invest in thin cardigans to pair over dresses
4. Invest in a tailored blue jean jacket and pop that collar
5. KNOW your curves.
6. Invest in sturdy undergarments. SPANX SPANX SPANX
7. Mix and match. Play with colors
8. DARK JEANS...WIDE LEGGED.

(this post is specifically for my sister who claims I don't shop for sizes over 16 even though I shop for her all the time...if you think I am sticking my tongue out right now, you would be RIGHT) I will post pics of real people who rock the thickness and just add to this slideshow.

8 comments:

Karla said...

Check out this week's TIME. It comes with a special, separate Style & Design issue. There's a 2-page shoe spread on pp 28-29 that you would love!

Karla said...

Oh, and I meant to tell you. Did you know Target carries a lower-priced Spanx brand called Assets? I never leave home without it. TMI?

SuzieC said...

I love the look of wrap dresses but I can never wrap them right :(

Me said...

Miss Reiko
I am 5'2" (though I am forever in heels)and top heavy...is it still okay for me to wear wide leg jeans? I always feel like it makes me look shorter.

GFS said...

@Suzie...Wrap dresses are awesome...If the belt is too long...wrap it around your body an extra time:)

@Raven....Wide legged jeans are cute as long as they are worn worn with heels..but the pants should be long enough to over the shoe or it will look like you are flooding. Darker jeans also elongate your body rather than a lighter wash.

shel said...

i do like wrap dresses, but i don't think they like me. i feel my waist is to big and i have no hips to make it work.

shel said...

btw....i have been in tar-jay and i was like omg. where have i been. they have several cute pieces and i can comfortable fit them.

GFS said...

@shel...Try throwing on a fitted dress over the wrap dress...it will give you some structure. The reason I harp on the wrap dress is because it usually hugs all the right places on our body. Furthermore, a dress to me as a more "fluid" look than tucking in shirts and what not....Wrap dresses are ideal for those of us who have tummies also:)

09 10